How to Prepare for Your Physical Medical Examination (PEME/APE)
To obtain the best accurate and precise results from your medical exam, we suggest that you follow these basic steps:
- Schedule your examination during the least stressful time of the day.
- The best time to do your exam is in the morning. If a weekday is not convenient, check with the clinic if you can arrange an appointment on a Saturday.
- Please wear a short-sleeved garment or one with sleeves that easily roll up just in case you are required to undress.
- Have your photo identification available. (valid ID with picture)
- Prepare in advance for questions regarding medical conditions, surgeries, medications, or other treatments you may have had. The medical examiner may also ask you for the names and addresses of physicians and/or hospitals that have treated you.
- Drink a glass of water an hour or so before the exam to facilitate obtaining a urine specimen.
- Avoid coffee, soda, tea or other products with caffeine for several hours before the exam.
- Avoid smoking or chewing tobacco for at least one hour prior to your scheduled exam.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages for at least 24 hours prior to the exam.
- Avoid nasal decongestants.
- Do not engage in strenuous exercise for at least 24 hours before the exam.
- Get a good night's rest before the medical exam.